The John Work Prairie Project is an effort to recapture the original profile of the land near the Nisqually River delta to help illustrate what drew the Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) to the area originally and caused them to build Fort Nisqually there.
The Saar Pioneer Cemetery is named for former King County Councilman Peter Saar, who in 1873 buried his wife on a small hill on their homestead. Since that time the cemetery has been known by many names.
On this Hundredth year of the Wilkeson Eagles Building we dedicate this plaque to all the Fraternal Orders that have called it home. We also want to recognize the past and present members of these groups that have helped preserve it in posterity
During the peak mining years, Carbonado sported three taverns. But all the while, miners still brewed moonshine in the dense forests surrounding the town. Even though it was illegal to possess your own liquor or beer, the company knew they'd have a war on its hands if they prohibited it. Otherwise, if the miners and their families followed the Company’s rules, they were left alone.
The first bridge to cross the Spokane River was built here in 1864 by three partners - Joe Herring, Tim Lee, and Ned Jordan. The fee to cross the wooden trestle was a $1.00, and the bridge provided an opportunity for people and equipment to go into the gold and silver mines of Idaho, Montana, and British Columbia. Jim Lee was the first post master of Spokane Bridge, which became a pony express stop in 1871, between The Dalles, Oregon Territory and Missoula, Montana Territory.